Servings: 4 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Grilling time: 3 to 5 minutes
- 8 medium carrots, each 6 to 8 inches long and about 1 inch wide at the stem;
- ¼ cup unsalted butter;
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar;
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg;
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided;
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided;
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh Italian parsley;
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
- Peel the carrots and cook them in boiling water until they are partially cooked but still crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain the carrots and rinse them under cold water for at least 10 seconds to stop the cooking.
- Lay the carrots flat on a work surface. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the vinegar and nutmeg. Brush the carrots with about half the butter mixture and season with half the salt and pepper.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the carrots over direct high heat, with the lid open, until lightly charred with spots and stripes, 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer the carrots to a platter, brush them with the remaining butter mixture, and season them with the remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle the parsley over the top, if using. Serve warm.
[Recipe source: Weber’s Charcoal Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance]